May 5, 2008

'WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU DID TODAY?'

There was an overwhelming curiosity surrounding my first day as President / CEO of e-Partners in Giving. Here are some of the questions that highlighted my "first day on the job." (BTW: I sincerely appreciated EVERY phone call and e-mail that I received over the course of the day checking on me.): 

* (At 10:30 a.m) "Are you still in bed?"

* (After missing a phone call) "Were you getting your sweat pants out of the dryer?"

* "How was Day No. 1 of working in your boxers?"

* Q: "What was the first thing you did today?" A: "I got out of bed."

* "What time did you start drinking?"

* "Have you ever seen the movie, 'Funny Farm' with Chevy Chase? " (That is going to be a blog in itself – if you haven't seen it...Chevy Chase moves to the country to write the Great American Novel, but does EVERYTHING but that. I'm also going to incorporate a little 'I Am Legend' - a guy and his dog are the only ones alive after a plague wipes out mankind. Needless to say, there were times today when I wished Gus -- my dog -- could talk back.)

* "How many naps did you take today?"

* Q: "Are you mad about the possibility of bad weather today?" A: "No. Why?" Q: "Because of your tee time." 

I will say this...working for yourself -- without having to "clock in" and "clock out" -- is going to take some time to get used to. 

One thing I DID do today, I constantly reminded myself why I did took this leap of faith. Take away the fact that I truly believe in the business model we have set-up. Remove the fact that e-Partners has the unbelievable potential to be very strong brand. Throw out the tremendous opportunity we are providing people to give back. 

This adventure was about me taking control of my life. I've always been a firm believer that if you're not happy with what you're doing -- DO SOMETHING ELSE! Not only are you killing your passion for life, but you're hurting the organization/company/product that you are working for.

I don't really like to talk like this...but if e-Partners fails, I still hope I inspired someone in an unhappy/unfulfilling situation to make a radical change in their life.

This morning I hopped out of bed around 6:30 a.m., showered, got dressed, made a pot of coffee and went to work -- just like I've done...for as long as I can remember. The difference: I felt more liberated and alive than I EVER have before.

Thanks for everyone's support on this amazing adventure!

DM

DON'T EVER STOP GIVING BACK!


No comments:

Want Blog Updates?
E-mail Address: