September 26, 2011

Eyes Wide Open: Being an Absentee Father

I recently described business travel as “glamorous.”

That was the best adjective I could think of after eating peanuts and drinking stale coffee on a 6 a.m. flight to New Orleans. (That was the most sarcasm-inducing “breakfast” I had ever eaten.)

I was in the Big Easy working on an out-of-the-box social media campaign for Tulane Athletics.

The only reason I’m sharing this boring behind-the-scenes information: I think it’s important that you know and understand why I abandoned my family for an entire week.

Why I abandoned my wife.

Why I abandoned my 19-month-old son.

Why I abandoned my dog.

FOR EIGHT DAYS!

I really thought I was a big boy. I thought I could handle it.

Nope.

I was standing on the doormat to hell, screaming: “Excuse me! I have a reservation for one!”

I was miserable. I missed them like CRAZY, and each and every day I missed them that much more.

Thank goodness my understanding and VERY cool wife kept me sane. She sent me two to three photos a day of my “Little Man,” and every time it made me smile.

I thought I share some of my favorites:

My boy loves ANYTHING with a steering wheel.


He's a fan of pickles, too.


I told you about steering wheels, right?
(I'm entering this shot into PWT Hall of Fame)


When I'm gone for long periods of time,
Crash starts interviewing new daddies.


Tell my son: "Show me your eyes"
and this is what you get.


Crash: Don't drink and drive!


An instant classic!


When I take him on an airplane...he's a little more hyper than this.
(Flying with his mom to see his grandparents)


"Show me your eyes!"

No comments:

Want Blog Updates?
E-mail Address: