August 20, 2008

OUR STORY PART 2: THE 'HOW'

A few months ago, I posted "Our Story," which gave a general overview of e-Partners in Giving. I thought I would share Part II to that story. This is content directly from our web site and one of the first glimpses behind the e-Partners' curtain:


“How did you 
come up with that idea?”
...as told by President/CEO of e-Partners in Giving, Drew Myers

I love it when people ask me that question, because I LOVE telling this story.

It was the spring of 2007, and I was camping by myself just south of Fort Worth.


I was working in the Athletics Department at Texas Christian University at the time, and I just needed to get away and clear my head. I woke up in the middle of the night and had a random thought about my boss and his son, who was about to celebrate his first birthday.

“When is his birthday?” I whispered to myself. “It should be coming up pretty soon. I don’t want to get him a toy he’s going play with once, or buy him a book that someone might read to him once or twice.”

At this point of the story, I would like to say: I have NO IDEA why I was thinking about this at 3 a.m. in the middle of the woods.
Back to my late-night thoughts:

“I really wish I could donate to a scholarship fund in his name,” I thought to myself. And with that one thought, a business idea was born. Over the next several hours, the idea began to come alive. “This is bigger than just accepting donations for a little kid’s birthday party,” I thought to myself. “What about weddings? Graduations? Funerals?”

That’s when my idea started to get legs, especially regarding memorial donations. There would be a solid market for the other occasions, but collecting donations for funerals could be HUGE. 

I probably fell back asleep around 5:30 a.m. – a good 2.5-hour brainstorming session within the confines of my tent – but a few hours later, I jumped up and rummaged through the trashcan at my campsite. I was feverously searching for the obituaries that ran in the newspaper the day before. 

Once I found the section, I spread out the paper on the tailgate of my truck and circled each memorial request with a pen. “In lieu of flowers, the family requests…” I don’t remember how many I circled that day, what I DO remember is the fact most of them listed the address of the non-profit organization OR didn’t list any contact information at all.

“People are still writing checks to these charities?” I thought to myself. “I can’t remember the last time I wrote a check to anyone.”

Now, the seed was firmly planted.

A couple of weeks later – during a conversation with my mom – my idea received a kick-start and began to grow into what it is today. I told her my idea and she told me that she had three checks, sitting by her computer, just waiting for her to go online and look up the address. 

“Then I have to address the envelope, find a stamp, and put it in the mail,” she said. 

My response: “What if you could go to one web site, make the donations using a debit or credit card and be done with it?” 

Of course she said that would be awesome and e-Partners in Giving was off and running.

Over the last year and a half, we have put together a business plan that focuses on convenience and security – not just for the person making the donation, but also for the person or family requesting the donation. We have put together a solid team that lives and breathes the ideals of our corporate character.

We are excited about changing the world –
one donation at a time.

NOTE: We have received a lot of guidance and help during the course of this start-up endeavor – every ounce of it appreciated more than we can express on this web site. A whole-hearted “thank you” only begins to capture our sincere gratitude. There is NO WAY that e-Partners in Giving would be where it is today with your help. (This note is directed to anyone, who is thinking, “Is he talking to me?”)

OTHER NUGGETS:

QUOTEBOOK
“Life is not measured by its duration, but rather by its donation. We are not measured by the distance we travel, but by the difference we make.”

NOTE: This was sent to me by my business partner; she heard it at the funeral of former State Representative Buddy West. I'm not sure the origin of the quote, but it is GREAT!

No comments:

Want Blog Updates?
E-mail Address: